IMR 4895 | IMR 4895 FOR SALE
IMR 4895 is a smokeless powder commonly used in rifles for hunting, target shooting and military applications. First introduced in the 1900s it has since become the number powder for reloading cartridges in the .308 Winchester and .30-06 Springfield calibers. IMR 4895 FOR SALE
IMR 4895 is a smokeless powder commonly used in rifles for hunting, target shooting and military applications. First introduced in the 1900s it has since become the number powder for reloading cartridges in the .308 Winchester and .30-06 Springfield calibers.
IMR 4895 was first introduced by DuPont in the early 1900s as an improved version of the original IMR 4350 powder. It was designed to provide higher velocities and better accuracy in the .30-06 Springfield cartridge, which was the standard rifle cartridge for the US military at the time.
IMR 4895 quickly gained popularity among hunters and target shooters due to its consistent performance and low muzzle flash. It was also widely adopt by military forces around the world, including the US Army, which used it in the M1 Garand rifle during World War II and the Korean War.
In the years since its introduction, IMR 4895 has undergone several improvements and formula changes. But it remains a popular choice among reloaders and shooters who demand consistent performance and accuracy.
Characteristics of IMR 4895
- IMR 4895 is a single base, extruded powder made from nitrocellulose. As a medium burning powder. It has a burn rate that is slower than fast-burning powders like H4198 but faster than slow-burning powders like H4831.
- One of the key characteristics of IMR 4895 is its consistency. It is know for producing consistent velocities and pressures, which is important for accuracy and safety. This consistency is achieve through the use of high quality raw materials. Precise manufacturing processes, and rigorous quality control standards.
- This powder also has a low muzzle flash, which is particularly useful for hunters who shoot in low-light conditions. This characteristic is achieve through the use of a special flash reducing agent that helps to minimize the amount of flash produced by the powder.
- This powder is know for it clean burning. It produces very little dirt in the barrel. Which reduces cleaning time and makes cleaning easier. It also boost accuracy and long life span of the barrel.
- Versatility is a key attribute of this ammo. It can be use in a wide range of rifle bullets. From the .223 Remington to the .30-06 Springfield. It is particularly well suite for cartridges that use medium weight bullets, such as the .308 Winchester and 6.5 Creedmoor.
- IMR 4895 has a moderate density. That falls between high density of H4831 and low density of H4198. This makes it a good choice for loading cartridges that require a powder with a moderate density.
IMR 4895 is a smokeless powder made from nitrocellulose. It is a single-base powder, which means that it contains only one primary explosive ingredient. The exact composition of IMR 4895 is proprietary information and is not disclose by the manufacturer, Hodgdon Powder Company.
However, it is know that IMR 4895 contains a combination of nitrocellulose, stabilizers, and flash suppressants. The stabilizers are add to prevent the nitrocellulose from decomposing or deteriorating over time, which can cause the powder to become unstable and unsafe to use.
The flash suppressants are add to minimize the amount of flash produce by the powder when it is ignite. This is important for military and law enforcement applications, where minimizing the flash can help to conceal the location of the shooter and avoid detection.
The exact formula and proportions of these ingredients are carefully control during the manufacturing process to ensure consistent performance and safety. Hodgdon Powder Company uses advanced quality control measures. Including chemical analysis and lot testing, to ensure that every batch of powder meets their strict standards for performance and safety.
Overall, IMR 4895 is a popular powder among reloaders and shooters who demand consistent performance, versatility, and clean burning properties.
Laura Baldini (verified owner) –
Great powder for my 7Mag. Have been waiting for it for a year.
kelvin stroy (verified owner) –
Great old powder, not always available, buy it when you can.
sebastian fetrat karshalkouei (verified owner) –
I have used this and three other IMR powders for my rifle reloading for about 40 years. With the proper loads they have worked extremely well both for target and hinting in Alaska and several other states.
Eirik Torgersen (verified owner) –
I’ve been using this for 45 years to reload 30-06 to MIL spec and have been very satisfied. Hope it stays available
Elizabeth Thomas (verified owner) –
Never let me down. A dependable choice in powder!
Jeremy Beam (verified owner) –
I have used this powder to reload ammunition for several vintage military rifles. Always dependable performance.
Shannon Rasmussen (verified owner) –
I use this to reload my 45-7o Govt trapdoor loads. Works great!